Monday, June 22, 2009

Serendipity - making of a pleasant discovery by accident.


My name is Hedda Kaphengst. I am originally from Germany but I live in Ireland since 1998.
I have worked in many different careers throughout my life.Although being a qualified chef as well as a trained actress, I also worked as a tour guide, sales agent, horse groom, housekeeper, puppeteer, pub owner and drama and cooking teacher. Of course it was always easier earning a living from all these occupations then it was from being an actress. However, my passion for the craft for acting never vanished and it was in 2001, after working 10 weeks on the film "Reign of fire"in Ireland that my love for acting was rekindled. I was also working part time as a chef in a nursing homes in Bray at that time as well as part time in the Lambert Puppet Theatre in Monkstown. I passionately wanted to be doing something more with my acting and singing skills and one day I asked the matron of that nursing home whether she would like me to provide some entertainment for the residents.
She was delighted by this Idea and even offered me a fee even though I had never asked for payment in the first place. This was Serendipity-in its truest sense.
News of this in house entertainment spread around local nursing homes communities and I began making frequent visits to different homes. I found myself with a growing repertoire and a growing client base.
In 2006 I registered Serendipity as a non profit company and in the meantime I had found a fantastic pianist and musician in Josh Johnston to help me with the shows for Christmas and during May as part of the annual "Bealtaine" Festival. Other actors joined and left.
In February 2008 I made my professional theatre debut on the Irish stage in my own translation of Kerstin Specht's one-woman play " The Backside of the Bills". It marked a turning point in the development of Serendipity. We got a slot on the Rte six one news and this report caught the attention of a philanthropic sponsor who came on board by the end of 2008 to help me with Serendipity's development. A fantastic opportunity and another open door.
In May 2009 I had found some fabulous new actors and musicians to help me with the work and growing responsibility in Serendipity Theatre Group.
My Life has always been exciting in many ways but ever since I started this work with older people I feel more alive, more fulfilled and exhilarated. I can use all my talents and all my work experiences and I never stop learning or taking on new challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment